Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Spraying elderly pedestrians with a garden-hose is cruel and unethical

My brother and I found ourselves dipped in boredom very often and very easily. It's a curse some would say, that of severe late nineties, pre-adolescent, suburban inattentive-ness, but we relished every bad idea that hungrily spawned from the empty recesses of our juvenile minds. Now it wasn't often that we got such a bad idea as to go about usurping the neighborhood peace mind you, but that day we simply could not help ourselves. Summer led to many miserably drab and boring afternoons in our old neighborhood, so we took to the streets, armed with the sole intent to relieve the sleepy hex that had befallen us. We had little idea about proper civility or the concepts of right and wrong, good and evil, bad and okay-enough-to-not-be-punished-too-harshly. One could even argue that we unleashed such a full-forced torrent of water upon that elderly couple as a friendly attempt to cool them off whilst on their grueling late-afternoon stroll.  In fact, I'm still not entirely certain that their faces weren't contorted into those of pleasant surprise, or their screams those of cool delight, rather than shock and fear.

In all honesty, It really was my brother's idea. Though he was younger, and seemingly more innocent, I argued profusely (and vainly) that it was his under-developed, more immature mind that persuaded me to yell "Now!" and subsequently flood the surrounding area with sparkling, garden-hose glory. Of course, just as his character always led him to do, he remained silent as our parents slopped punishment on my plate and juicy steak upon his. I'm still somewhat miffed about the fact that he fled the scene, that he turned tail and bolted through the bushes as their wrinkled, furious gazed fell upon us. In the end I suppose he was just frightfully clever, or devious as I would prefer to call it. Either way, our afternoon boredom was alleviated in one fell turn of a water valve. Actually, my brother's entire week became suddenly eventful as he gained the ability to roam about freely, occasionally visiting me in my prison to gloat about his un-grounded evenings and adventures. In retrospect, I suppose justice was served in some twisted, ill-fated, way. Though I remained isolated in my bedroom, my brother was priveleged with mowing our elderly neighbor's lawn, a fate which I still have no remorse about dodging.

No comments:

Post a Comment